Jordan Jenkins Authentic Jersey  Read e-book online Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience, 2nd PDF - Intierniet maghazin Books

Read e-book online Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience, 2nd PDF

By Chandra Mehrotra, Lisa Wagner

ISBN-10: 041595214X

ISBN-13: 9780415952149

Show description

Read Online or Download Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience, 2nd Edition PDF

Best education books

Download e-book for iPad: Learning in Cultural Context: Family, Peers, and School by Ashley E. Maynard (Editor), Mary I. Martini (Editor)

This quantity makes a speciality of the cultural elements of studying and cognitive strategies, reading the idea, equipment, findings, and functions during this zone. The bankruptcy authors disguise such issues as kinfolk context, peer interplay and formal schooling.

Additional resources for Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience, 2nd Edition

Sample text

Data from 2000 census indicates that the racial composition for centenarians is similar to that for all older Americans—78% of centenarians were non-Hispanic White and the remaining 22% included Hispanic, Blacks, Asian, Pacific Islanders, and American Indians. However, the Census Bureau projects that, by 2050, nonHispanic Whites may account for only 55% of the total centenarian population, with Hispanic and Asian and Pacific Islander populations accounting for a greater share of the population aged 100 years and above (Krach & Velkoff, 1999).

People from these different groups also have different immigration histories that further contribute to the diversity within the Latino group. The health of Latinos is affected by their culture of origin and the length of time they have been in the United States. For example, a current Hispanic elder could have lived his entire life in the southwestern United States as his family lived there before it was acquired by the United States in 1848. Thus, his dietary and health practices could be very similar to mainstream Americans and his facility with the English language very good.

Their friendship patterns, membership in organizations and interests show a strong bicultural perspective; they move easily in and out of both cultures. 1 Patterns in the adaptation of foreign-born individuals in the United States. Adapted from Berry, (1994). 11 12 Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience their ethnicity and ethnic culture and feel comfortable with this identity. This category represents bicultural individuals. Some examples of bicultural individuals may be college students whose parents immigrated to the United States when their children were very young, some college and university professors, and some older adults brought up with a multicultural perspective.

Download PDF sample

Aging and Diversity: An Active Learning Experience, 2nd Edition by Chandra Mehrotra, Lisa Wagner


by Christopher
4.5

Rated 4.55 of 5 – based on 31 votes

Categories: Education