By William F. Haddican.
Read or Download Aspects of language variation and change in contemporary Basque PDF
Best education books
Publication via Sumedho
This quantity specializes in the cultural facets of studying and cognitive techniques, studying the speculation, tools, findings, and purposes during this region. The bankruptcy authors conceal such subject matters as kinfolk context, peer interplay and formal schooling.
- Understanding Practice: Perspectives on Activity and Context
- Technologies for E-Learning and Digital Entertainment: Second International Conference, Edutainment 2007, Hong Kong, China, June 11-13, 2007. Proceedings
- The Israeli Military and the Origins of the 1967 War: Governement, Armed Forces and Defence Policy 1963-67 (Middle Eastern Military Studies)
- Contentious Geographies (Ashgate Studies in Environmental Policy and Practice)
- Learning Autonomy in Post-16 Education: The Politics and Practice of Formative Assessment
- Fachdidaktik Religion: Evangelischer Religionsunterricht in Studium und Praxis
Extra resources for Aspects of language variation and change in contemporary Basque
The goal of this and the following two chapters is to examine how Batua has entered the linguistic life of one Basque town, Oiartzun. Specifically, in this chapter, I argue that these processes of linguistic change must be understood in the context of other rapid social and economic changes in Oiartzun and in the Basque Country more generally since 1975. In particular, economic development and suburbanization have made the valley of Oiartzun a much less insular place than it was a generation ago.
As I hope to show, many community members view standardization as part of a broader process of modernization and development that has been advantageous in many ways for Oiartzuners, but has also brought other unwanted changes, including a decline in participation in many traditional practices and a perceived weakening in community identity. The ambivalence of many younger community members toward changes in town life is reflected in their attitudes toward the local dialect and Batua, and their use of these varieties in speech.
El idioma vasco es rico en inflexions que expresan imperceptibles matices de la realidad; pobre, pobrísimo en voces y giros que expresan los sutiles derroteros de lo ideal. Nuestro espíritu tiene ancla, si le levantan por un momento, luego cae de las nubes de la abstracción y viene al suelo. Por eso somos tardos en concebir y converncernos, prontos en ejecutar. Somos un pueblo antiguo en una vestidura moderna, con las ideas recibidas del adulto y el espíritu del joven. 11 My translation. ” 28 the twentieth century, no broadly recognized literary variety had emerged, partly because literary production in Basque had been extraordinarily meager.
Aspects of language variation and change in contemporary Basque by William F. Haddican.